Effective March 18, 2020, our office is closed to the public and remains closed until further notice. We currently have limited staff on site daily and are processing requests as quickly as possible with the staff available.
Requests for vital records may still be submitted to our office via regular mail. Please be advised that due to the closure notice and limited staff, the processing and completion of requests are delayed, and we are currently processing at 12+ weeks from the receipt of the request.
Dissolution of Civil Union records are not kept by the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records. Certified copies are available from the circuit court clerk in the county where the dissolution of civil union was granted (List of Circuit Court Clerks).
The Division of Vital Records can verify the facts of a dissolution of civil union that has taken place from January 1, 2012, through the current index date available. The facts of a dissolution of civil union include: names, dates of birth, date of event, and city/county of event.
Verifications cost $5 and can be requested by mail, by fax, or in person.
How to Obtain a Dissolution of Civil Union Verification
To obtain a dissolution of civil union verification, you must submit the following:
- A completed picture_as_pdfApplication for Verification of Dissolution of Marriage/Civil Union Record Files.
- A valid government issued photo identification (ID) that must be readable and is not expired/out of date (if an ID is not provided, unreadable, or expired, the request will be returned unprocessed)
- Learn more about valid IDs
- Learn more about the required costs/fees
To Order by Mail
You can mail the completed picture_as_pdfapplication for verification of dissolution of marriage/civil union record files, PDF format, or send a letter providing the names of both parties, their dates of birth and the date and place of the dissolution of civil union, if known, and a check or money order (do not send cash) for the $5 fee made payable to the "Illinois Department of Public Health" to:
Illinois Department of Public Health
Division of Vital Records
925 E. Ridgely Ave.
Springfield, IL 62702-2737
Regular mail requests, on average, are processed in 4 to 6 weeks. (Please note: This does not include delivery time to and from the office.)
To Order by Fax
Orders can be faxed to 217-523-2648. You will need to include the picture_as_pdfapplication for verification of dissolution of marriage/civil union record files, PDF format, or provide the names of both parties and the date and place of the dissolution of civil union on the transmittal/cover sheet. You also need to include the following information:
- Your credit card number and expiration date (to pay the $5 verification fee, a $12.95 credit card handling charge, and the $19.50 UPS charge). A $3 fee will be applied for each additional person in a group order
- A daytime phone number, including area code, should it be necessary to contact you about the request
- Your return address
- Your written signature
- A valid government issued photo identification (ID) (if an ID is not provided, unreadable, or expired, the request will not be processed)
These orders may take 7 business days to process. Incomplete or illegible applications will not be processed. An adult signature is necessary to accept the UPS delivery. We can send packages by UPS to your place of work. UPS deliveries cannot be made to post office boxes.
To Order In Person
In-person orders can be dropped off for mail out within three business days at the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records office, 925 East Ridgely Ave., Springfield, on Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., excluding holidays. PLEASE NOTE: The person requesting the verification will be asked to show a valid government issued photo identification (ID) card.