Medical Cannabis Patient Program (MCPP)
Effective 2/1/2019, patients who apply for a Medical Cannabis Registry Card on-line will receive provisional access to a licensed dispensary within 24 hours of completing the application process. Qualifying patients who submit a paper application do NOT receive a provisional (temporary) registry card.
Provisional Access to Medical Cannabis Dispensaries
If the qualifying patient submits an application for MCPP on-line before 6 PM CST, they can download their provisional (temporary) registration card the following day, after 8:30 AM. It is recommended the patient call their dispensary to verify their provisional registration card is active before driving to the dispensary location dispensary.
Please follow the instructions below to download and print your provisional medical cannabis registration:
- Please click https://medicalcannabispatients.illinois.gov/Activities/Listing.aspx?ID=240 to login to the online portal with your user ID and password.
- Once logged in, select “Online Services” in the top right corner
- Under Activities, select “Provisional Registration”
- Click “Print Provisional Registration”
The provisional registration card is valid for up to 90 days. During this period, the patient cannot change their dispensary location.
Qualifying for MCPP
To qualify for a patient registry identification card, a qualifying patient must:
- Be a resident of the State of Illinois at the time of application and remain a resident during participation in the program;
- Have a qualifying debilitating medical condition;
- Have a signed physician certification (unless you are a veteran receiving medical care at a VA facility);
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Not hold a school bus permit or Commercial Driver’s License (CDL); and
- Not be an active duty law enforcement officer, correctional officer, correctional probation officer, or firefighter.
Make sure your physician completes the Physician Written Certification Form and gives the form back to you for submission with your application. You must scan the form and save it as a .pdf document to upload it with your on-line application or include the original document with your paper application. The physician certification must show an in-person office visit date within the last 90 days.
DO YOU NEED A CAREGIVER TO ASSIST WITH THE USE OF MEDICAL CANNABIS?
A caregiver can assist you with the use of medical cannabis. A caregiver MUST have a valid registry card to enter a medical cannabis dispensary with the patient. Consider designating a caregiver when you apply for a medical cannabis registry identification card. Complete the Designated Caregiver Application and submit the required documents with your patient application.