Persons diagnosed with a terminal illness with a life expectancy of six (6) months or less may apply for a medical cannabis registry identification card valid for six months. There is no application fee.
Applications cannot be submitted on-line.
Persons whose diagnosis is no longer terminal after a period of six months, and their caregivers, may submit an application for a one-, two-, or three-year registry identification card.
Questions about terminal illness applications may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualifying patients (Adults and Persons under age 18)
- Be a resident of the State of Illinois at the time of application and remain a resident during participation in the program
- Have been diagnosed with a terminal illness with a life expectancy of six (6) months or less
- Submit a complete application
- Make sure your physician completes and signs the physician confirmation of diagnosis of terminal illness. This form must be signed in blue ink. The in-person physical examination must take place within 90 days of the application submission date.
- Not hold a school bus permit or Commercial Driver’s License
- Not be an active duty law enforcement officer, correctional officer, correctional probation officer, or firefighter.
- Select a caregiver, if desired (persons under age 18 may have two caregivers)
Veterans receiving care at a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Facility
- Submit a copy of your DD-214 showing dates of service and character of service (type of discharge)
- Provide a copy of your medical records from the VA facility for the last 12 months.
- Complete the Attestation of Terminal Illness (page 6 of the application package). This form must be notarized.
Persons whose diagnosis is no longer terminal after a period of six months and their designated caregiver may submit applications for a three-year registry identification card.
Requesting an application for a Terminal Illness Registry Identification Card by mail:
If you would like to receive an application for terminal illness in the mail, please provide the following information: