The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) is one of the State’s oldest agencies - originally established in 1877 to regulate medical practitioners and to promote sanitation. Today, IDPH is responsible for protecting the state's 12.8 million residents, as well as countless visitors, through the prevention and control of disease and injury. With over 200 programs, IDPH touches virtually every age, aspect, and cycle of life.
IDPH’s internship program offers college students an opportunity to learn from everyone around you, ask questions, and most importantly, gain an educational experience to enhance one’s development by learning firsthand how a state agency operates.
In order to qualify for the Department’s Internship Program, applicants must:
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, or another professional degree program;
- Have completed at least one full academic year at the undergraduate level;
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale; and
- Be currently enrolled or returning to school in the fall to continue degree requirements (for summer internship applicants).
How to Apply?
Those interested in applying for an internship must complete the online application form and attach your cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcripts.
In order to match your skills and interests with the needs of our program areas, be sure to complete the online application in full, and refer to the IDPH Internship Program Guide - paying particular attention to the offices that participate in the program and their operational locations.
The Selection Process
There are several steps in the selection process; students should understand the following:
- Completed Applications: Once applications are submitted, they are reviewed to ensure all eligibility requirements are met. Upon verification, application packets are made available to the various offices for their consideration.
- Office Selections: Individual offices will contact you directly to set up interviews, as internships are ongoing throughout the year. The hiring office coordinates official notification of acceptance. Please note that all offers are considered tentative until all paperwork is signed.
Please note - while IDPH offers internships throughout the year, applications are cleared out at the end of each fiscal year (June 30th). If your application is not selected by June 30, be sure to reapply in the new fiscal year.
For any questions about IDPH's Internship Program or the application process, please submit your questions using the Contact Us Form.