As an older adult or caregiver of an older adult, specific steps can be taken to prevent falls.
Four things an older adult can do to prevent falls:
- Begin an exercise program to improve leg strength & balance
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist to review your medicines
- Get annual eye check-ups & update your eyeglasses
- Make your home safer by:
- Removing clutter & tripping hazards
- Putting railings on all stairs & adding grab bars in the bathroom.
- Having good lighting, especially on stairs
Caregivers should ensure that any older adult under their care understands what he or she needs to do to protect themselves from falls.