Persons diagnosed with a terminal illness with a life expectancy of six (6) months or less may apply for a medical cannabis registry identification card valid for six months. There is no application fee.
If you currently have or had a 6-month Terminal Illness Registry Card, DO NOT start a Terminal Illness application. You must complete a Qualifying Medical Cannabis on-line application. Call 855-636-3688 and ask to speak to a Terminal Illness Specialist or email email@example.com for assistance.
Qualifying patients (Adults and Persons under age 18)
- Be a resident of the State of Illinois at the time of application and remain a resident during participation in the program
- Have been diagnosed with a terminal illness with a life expectancy of six (6) months or less
- Submit a complete on-line application
- Make sure your Health Care Professional completes the on-line certification confirming the terminal diagnosis. The in-person physical examination must take place within 90 days of the application submission date.
- Not hold a school bus permit or Commercial Driver’s License
- Not be an active duty law enforcement officer, correctional officer, correctional probation officer, or firefighter.
- Select up to three caregivers.
Veterans receiving care at a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Facility
- Submit a copy of your DD-214 showing dates of service and character of service (type of discharge)
- Provide a copy of your medical records from the VA facility for the last 12 months.
- Complete the Veteran Attestation of Terminal Illness provided in the application. This form must be notarized.
Persons whose diagnosis is no longer terminal after a period of six months, and their caregivers, may submit an application for a one, two, or three-year registry identification card.